Tuesday 11 August 2015

Book Review | The Hunger Games: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6148028-catching-fire
6148028Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

In Catching Fire, the second novel in the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, testing her more than ever before...and surprising readers at every turn.



Pages: 405
Format: Kindle

I'm going to start with the positives of this book, because there definitely were some. I really like the scenes within the arena. I love the addition of new characters, and the new dynamics that brings out. I think seeing how Katniss responds to working alongside outsiders, shows a different side to her personality. So I really liked that.
I thought the building of this tension in the districts, was done really well and it hints at more and better to come in the final installment of the series. So that's an aspect that worked really well.
I liked that Gale had more of a starring role in this novel, because I find him to be a really interesting character, and I like what he brings out in Katniss. 
So a few positives that kept me interested in the story.
There were some lower points, however, which didn't work quite so well for me.
I found, as with the first book, that the pacing was a little off balance and at some parts I found it a little too slow. 
However, I think the part that was the biggest negative for me, was the 'love the one you're with' mentality of Katniss.
Going into this book, you know that there's a love triangle aspect with Gale and Peeta, and I don't mind that kind of dynamic in some cases, if it's handled ok. However, it seemed that the boy how had the higher place in Katniss' affections, was always the one she was currently with, as if the other one faded from her memory, the second they were gone. This made, for me, Katniss a bit of a fickle, and unlikable character. I want her to stick to her feelings a little more, and not be so easily swayed.
So, a decent read, and I will definitely finish the series. 

Rating
6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment