Thursday 7 August 2014

Book Review | #16thingsithoughtweretrue by Janet Gurtler

17586459
Heart attacks happen to other people #thingsIthoughtweretrue

When Morgan's mom gets sick, it's hard not to panic. Without her mother, she would have no one—until she finds out the dad who walked out on her as a baby isn't as far away as she thought...

Adam is a stuck-up, uptight jerk #thingsIthoughtweretrue

Now that they have a summer job together, Morgan's getting to know the real Adam, and he's actually pretty sweet...in a nerdy-hot kind of way. He even offers to go with her to find her dad. Road trip, anyone?

5000 Twitter followers are all the friends I need #thingsIthoughtweretrue

With Adam in the back seat, a hyper chatterbox named Amy behind the wheel, and plenty of Cheetos to fuel their trip, Morgan feels ready for anything. She's not expecting a flat tire, a missed ferry, a fake girlfriend...and that these two people she barely knew before the summer started will become the people she can't imagine living without.

Pages: 283 | Format: Kindle | Goodreads | Amazon

Review
I've read two previous Janet Gurtler books, and for me she's turning out to be quite a hit and miss author for me. For example, the first book I read was How I Lost You which received 5 stars from me on Goodreads and I loved. The second was If I Tell which I really didn't enjoy all that much, and it got a 1 star rating on Goodreads.
Having had this up and down experience with Janet Gurtlers books, I was apprehensive going into this one, but because I loved How I Lost You so much, I decided that I had to give more of her books a chance.
I'm glad that I did, because this book was fantastic.
I really loved how real Morgan felt. She had so much that she was dealing with, and I think the way she was handling it was in an incredibly believable way.
Add onto this that you had a fantastic cast of supporting characters, some stand out storylines, and moments that made me laugh and some that made me cry, and you're on to a winner.
If all those things weren't enough, there was a road trip aspect, and it was done really well. I am a huge fan of road trips in books, and I've read a fair few of them, and they don't always work perfectly, but this one was great. The people in the car were fantastic, and the way they all interacted with each other was great. I loved the balance of light, funny moments and the heavier dramatic moments. It was done really nicely.
The pacing was great, and it was the kind of book that I didn't want to put down because it was just so good at keeping me interested.
As for the romance, usually I like to see more of it in a story than we got in this book, but for this particular story I think the more subtle approach was great. It made sense for the story and the characters that it wouldn't be a more prominent aspect of the book.
Overall, I'd say that this was a fantastic book, and I would highly recommend it. 

 Rating 

10/10


No comments:

Post a Comment