Wednesday 13 August 2014

Book Review | Cracked Up To Be by Courtney Summers

3521484
When "Perfect" Parker Fadley starts drinking at school and failing her classes, all of St. Peter's High goes on alert. How has the cheerleading captain, girlfriend of the most popular guy in school, consummate teacher's pet, and future valedictorian fallen so far from grace?

Parker doesn't want to talk about it. She'd just like to be left alone, to disappear, to be ignored. But her parents have placed her on suicide watch and her conselors are demanding the truth. Worse, there's a nice guy falling in love with her and he's making her feel things again when she'd really rather not be feeling anything at all.

Nobody would have guessed she'd turn out like this. But nobody knows the truth.

Something horrible has happened, and it just might be her fault.

Pages: 214 | Format: Audible Audio | Goodreads | Amazon



Review
Spoilers
I went into this book with high hopes. The story sounded really good, it had a touch of mystery to it and some romance, just the kind of thing I love.
I wanted to love this, but in the end, I just didn't. I think my main problem was that I really didn't like the main character. I know that she was supposed to be acting out and not being the perfect girl anymore, but when we got glimpses of her softer side, I really liked her that way. I know that her hard exterior was needed, but I wish that the balance between her softer moments was better. As it is, the way that Parker's character was written was just really jarring to me.
The storyline was good. I liked that it wasn't super predictable, and that the mystery of what happened really was saved until the end. However, after you find out what happened and how Parker is connected to it, I couldn't help but think that her reaction to it was even more odd. I get her depression and that she started skipping school, getting bad grades and all of that. That made sense. But, she felt guilty about something, so she started treating everyone who cared about her really, really badly. 
I think for me, her attitude was a little too much spoilt brat and that made the book way less enjoyable.

Rating

4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment