Monday 12 May 2014

Book Review | Glimpse by Carol Lynch Williams

10055551

Twelve-year-old Hope's life is turned upside down when her older sister, Lizzie, becomes an elective mute and is institutionalized after trying to kill herself. Hope and Lizzie have relied on each other from a young age, ever since their dad died. Their mother, who turns tricks to support her family, is a reluctant and unreliable parent at best. 

During the course of this lyrical and heartbreaking narrative, told in blank verse from an exceptionally promising YA voice, readers will discover the chilling reason why Lizzie has stopped speaking and why Hope is the only one who can bring the truth to light and save her sister.


Pages: 512 | Format: Paperback | Rating: 10/10 | Goodreads | Amazon

Review
This book, to put it simply, is breathtaking. I couldn't believe the depth and emotions running through this book.
When I see a book with an interesting writing style like this, I tend to think two things right off the bat. One, that I definitely want to read it because I love interesting writing styles. Two, that it'll have to be done really well to get a good story out of so few works.
This book was done really well. I was hooked from the start. Read it in one sitting, and couldn't put it down.
This story is told beautifully, and it's emotional and heartbreaking, and written in such an effortless way.
As I started reading, I knew this book was going to get a high rating for me. By the time I finished it, I was convinced that it would make it onto my top ten books of the year. It's going to take a lot of good books to knock this one out of the running for a place in my top ten.
I thought that Hope's voice in this was perfect. As she struggled to figure out why her sister had suddenly changed so much, you couldn't help but feel for her.
I've always liked books with a main character who has to face issues, and one of the things I look for in books like that, is if the character feels believeable, and Hope did. She was written really well, and there wasn't one moment when my attention was taken away, or where I started wondering if the book was really believable.
The writing style in this book captured my attention, and the beautifully written story held it from start to finish.
For me, this is a must read. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't yet read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment