Saturday 29 March 2014

Book Review | Panic by Lauren Oliver (Spoilers)


17565845Panic began as so many things do in Carp, a dead-end town of 12,000 people in the middle of nowhere: because it was summer, and there was nothing else to do.

Heather never thought she would compete in Panic, a legendary game played by graduating seniors, where the stakes are high and the payoff is even higher. She’d never thought of herself as fearless, the kind of person who would fight to stand out. But when she finds something, and someone, to fight for, she will discover that she is braver than she ever thought.

Dodge has never been afraid of Panic. His secret will fuel him, and get him all the way through the game, he’s sure of it. But what he doesn't know is that he’s not the only one with a secret. Everyone has something to play for.

For Heather and Dodge, the game will bring new alliances, unexpected revelations, and the possibility of first love for each of them—and the knowledge that sometimes the very things we fear are those we need the most.

Title: Panic
Author: Lauren Oliver
Pages: 408
Format: Kindle
Goodreads Rating: 3.66/5
My Rating: 6/10

Review
Be warned this review will contain spoilers, so if you haven't read it yet and don't want it spoiled, please steer clear.

When I first read the synopsis of this book I was really interested in it. I waiting months for it's release and was so excited when it finally came out. Then I started hearing all these mixed reviews about it, so I was keen to read it myself and see what I'd think.
I have to say that I was pretty disappointed in this book. There were parts that I really loved. I really loved the whole idea of this game of Panic. I also loved the relationship between Heather and Bishop. I loved the concept of this book, and the cover is beautiful and the title is interesting.
So where did it let me down? Well in some ways it was in the things that I loved. I loved the game of Panic, but I didn't feel like there was enough of it in this book. There were just a few challenges, which weren't written about a lot, and so it felt like the action was a little slow.
The relationship between Heather and Bishop was great, but I wanted to see more of it. I wanted to see it develop more, and instead it was just a quick all of a sudden thing that Heather realized she liked him as more than a friend. I would have liked to of seen that developed more.
I loved the dual narration, however I didn't really connect with Dodge's character at all. I actually think it would have been more interesting to see it from Heather's and Bishop's point of views. Have a player and a judge telling their sides of Panic.
One high point though was that I loved Heather's character and her growth through this novel. She made a really interesting character.
I loved the concept of this book. I just think the balance was a little off. I wanted more romance and more action. 
Overall, it was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment