Friday 28 March 2014

Book Review | Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett


Waiting for Godot (Acting Edition)A seminal work of twentieth century drama, Waiting for Godot wasSamuel Beckett's first professionally produced play. It opened in Paris in 1953 at the tiny Left Bank Theatre de Babylone, and has since become a cornerstone of twentieth-century theater. The story line revolves around two seemingly homeless men waiting for someone or something named Godot. Vladimir and Estragon wait near a tree on a barren stretch of road, inhabiting a drama spun from their own consciousness. The result is a comical wordplay of poetry, dreamscapes, and nonsense, which has been interpreted as a somber summation of mankind's inexhaustible search for meaning. Beckett's language pioneered an expressionistic minimalism that captured the existentialism of post-World War II Europe. His play remains one of the most magical and beautiful allegories of our time.











Title: Waiting for Godot
Author: Samuel Beckett
Pages: 72
Format: Paperback
Goodreads Rating: 3.79
My Rating: 3/10


Review
I picked this book up because it's one of the books that I'm studying for my uni course, and I'll admit it didn't really appeal to me. I was however willing to read it with an open mind, because on a few occasions before, I've not been overly keen on reading something, and then I end up loving it.
Sadly this wasn't the case with this play. I didn't really enjoy it, I found that I was losing interest often and though parts of it were ok, this just wasn't my thing.
I honestly don't even have anything else to say about it. I just didn't enjoy it all that much.


No comments:

Post a Comment