Thursday 13 March 2014

Book Review: The Isobel Journal by Isobel Harrop

18518711
Title: The Isobel Journal
Author: Isobel Harrop
Pages: 210
Format: Digital (from Netgalley)
Goodreads Rating: 4.29
My Rating: 10/10

Synopsis

THE ISOBEL JOURNAL is no ordinary snapshot of a contemporary teenage life. A charming and vivid narrative scrapbook of the eighteen-year-old author's sketches, mini-graphic novels, photographs and captions, it captures her wit, her observations and her creative talent as she takes us through the three central themes in her life: 'Love', 'Friends, Art and Otters' and 'Me'.

Resonant of Laura Dockrill's MISTAKES IN THE BACKGROUND and with the powerful naïve illustrative style of cult Japanese artist Yoshitomo Nara, this is a collector's gift for teenagers and all who have the teenage experience still in their hearts. Readers will emphasise with this witty and honest journal of a girl getting to grips with impending adulthood. A must-have for all hipster teenagers and anyone who appreciates the raw creativity of youth. Enchanting and poignant.

Review
This is a book that I need in my life. I don't just mean I need to have the digital copy I got for review from Netgalley which is what I'm reviewing right now. I mean I need to go out and buy an actual physical copy for my shelves, and here's why.
I adored this book from cover to cover. The art style is fantastic. I loved the mix of photography and illustrations. It was truly wonderful.
I loved the story that went along with these illustrations. I found myself smiling and laughing at a lot of points. Also, I found a lot of this really relatable as well. For instance, I to love stripes, and I love otters.
This is a really quick read, but it didn't in any way feel as if it was lacking anything. There was a fantastic style to this book. I'm honestly buzzing from reading it.
It's the kind of book that you can easily go back to again and again and it just makes you smile and feel happy. I'm so thrilled I got the chance to review this, and honestly, I do think this is something I'd buy in physical copy. 
I highly recommend it, no seriously, you should go out and get it. It's fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment