Wednesday 19 February 2014

Book Review | Take me There by Susane Colasanti

2085319

Title: Take Me There
Author: Susane Colasanti
Pages: 290
Format: Audiobook (Audible)
Goodreads Rating: 3.63/5
My Rating: 7/10

Synopsis

Rhiannon is devastated after the breakup with her boyfriend and wants him back. Nicole's ex is still in the picture, but she can't help having a new crush. James and Rhiannon are just friends, though he may try to take it to the next level. Will their desire to take a mean girl down a notch bring these three friends what they want . . . and more?
Set during one life-altering week and told in three realistic perspectives, this engaging, witty novel by the author of When It Happens shows the ups and downs of love, friendship, and karma.

Review
This book gained automatic points with me as soon as I found out it was told in multiple first person perspectives. If you've been following my reviews for a while, you'll know that I love dual narration, and if done well, three person perspectives as well. This book is definitely a book which does three person narration really well.
I loved all three characters, and they were all unique enough that even on an audiobook where it would normally be harder to tell the difference between the narrators, I found it pretty easy.
I loved that it wasn't just the two girls who got a starring role, but James got a part as well, though perhaps it would have been good to of seen Danny have his own chapters as well, since they all played an equal weight in the group of friends.
Still, I loved how this book was written. Seeing the same days/events, from the three different perspectives was interesting, and kept me listening. I was easily pulled into this book.
On a more negative note, I have to say that it did start annoying me a little with some of the language. What I mean by this is a lot of it was written out as things like;
                     "She's like "how was the party?"
                      And I'm all "fine"
                      And she's like "who was there?""

The constant use of 'she's like...so I'm like' style of writing before the dialouge got on my nerves. This is just a personal preference. I don't like that style of narrative and so it started to get a little annoying.

Having said that, there is another major positive for this book, and that positive comes in the form of James. I would have to say that James is now officially one of my favorite male book characters ever. He was such a sweet guy, written amazingly and I liked his chapters the best of all of them.

Overall, this book was a great blend of sweet romantic moments, family drama, school drama, relationship drama, and it touched on some deeper more serious issues. I really enjoyed it, and I'll definitely be reading more from Susane Colasanti in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment