Wednesday 25 September 2013

Book Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Fall into Reading Read-a-Thon
Review #4


Title: Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Pages: 387
Format: Paperback
Published: 2012
Goodreads Rating: 4.07/5
My Rating: 9/10

Synopsis from Goodreads

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


Review

This book was unlike anything I'd ever read before, it was really unique and interesting. I loved the spin on the character of Cinderella, and how well it worked within the context of this story.
All of the characters were well written, interesting and well developed. I especially loved Iko.

The story line itself was wonderfully creative, well paced and enjoyable. I did guess a few things that were going to happen, but I didn't guess how they'd happen or when, so there was still a good amount of suspense.

This book really kept me turning the pages with it's unique style, great plot and interesting characters.

I thought the world building was really well done as well, when I was reading I felt like I was pulled into the surroundings of New Beijing, walking the streets along with Cinder. Heading into the palace. It all felt so realistic the way it was written. Though it wasn't overly heavy with description.

Cinder is definitely a page turner, and I enjoyed it so much that as soon as I was done, I picked up my kindle and bought the second in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment