Saturday 21 May 2016

Catch Up Book Reviews | 15 Book Reviews

Hi all,
So, you may have noticed that I haven't posted a book review, in quite some time. This isn't because I haven't been reading, because I've been reading a large volume of books. I just haven't been reviewing them. This is in part because I've just been reading so much, that I feel like I'll never catch up, and partly because I keep getting to a review, where I don't actually have much to say. So I keep putting it off.
I don't want to keep getting further behind. So, I've decided to catch up, in some quick snippet reviews in this post. A couple lines and my rating. Then, from now on, I'll put a small review in my wrap up post at the end of each month, and only do full reviews for the books that I actually have something substantial to write about.
So, here goes.

The Distance from A to Z by Natalie BlittThe Distance from A-Z by Natalie Blit
This is a book that I would readily describe as a fun, light, quick read. I liked it, but it wasn't something that blew me away. 
Rating: 7/10





Paperweight by Meg Haston Paperweight by Meg Haston
There are some books, that just hit you hard. Packed with emotion, Paperweight had me desperately turning the pages, and reluctant to put it down. Beautifully written. Simply an amazing read.
Rating: 10/10




The Color of Water in July by Nora Carroll The Color of Water in July by Nora Carroll
An interesting read. Weaving together different generations, and putting it all together in a compelling read. I enjoyed this one a lot.
Rating: 8.5/10





When You Were Here by Daisy Whitney When You Were Here by Daisy Whitney
This book had me hooked pretty early on. I loved the characters, and the intricate story that was weaved. Packed with emotion, this book kept me interested from beginning to end.
Rating: 9/10




Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling
Mindy Kaling is so funny. Interesting, and writes with such a great voice. I fully loved this book from start to finish. I would also say, that getting it on audiobook is well worth it, because her narration, is unbeatable. Fantastic read.
Rating: 10/10




Tennyson's Gift by Lynne Truss (Picture Unavailable)
This book didn't blow me away. In parts I found it moving so slow that I kept putting it down. For me, it just didn't hook me, and I found it a little disjointed.
Rating: 3/10

Cats are Weird and More Observations by Jeffrey Brown Cats Are Weird by Jeffrey Brown
It's a book about cats. Loved it. Funny and cute. Enough said. 
Rating: 9/10




Hawkeye, Vol. 2 by Matt Fraction Hawkeye Little Hits by Matt Fraction
I enjoyed this one a lot. Hawkeye is one of my favourites from the MCU, and so I wanted to read more of his comics, and this was a great read. Love comic Hawkeye just as much as the movie Hawkeye.
Rating: 9/10




Picture Me Gone by Meg Rosoff Picture Me Gone by Meg Rosoff
This one wasn't really for me. It wasn't awful, I just found it to be a little slow moving at times, a lot of times. I didn't feel myself getting truly invested in the story, or the characters. For me, this book just wasn't the best.
Rating: 4/10



Fat Dad, Fat Kid by Shay Butler Fat Dad, Fat Kid by Shay and Gavin Butler
This is definite an interesting book. I liked having this perspective on weight loss, and on how being overweight affects both adults and children. Add to this, that both of them are hilarious, and you have yourself a great book.
Rating: 9/10




Boy 30529 by Felix Weinberg Boy 30529 A Memoir by Felix Weinberg
Moving is a simple way to describe this book. It did have me reaching for the tissues. Emotional, and honest. This book was well written and compelling.
Rating: 9/10




Siege by Sarah Mussi Siege by Sarah Mussi
Tricky one. There were some parts that I really liked, but at the same time, so much of it I was reading and wanted to throw the book across the room. It's not often that I find a book I want to throw across the room. This one, though, in parts had me really wanting to. The ending was the biggest let down for me, however it did have some better moments.
Rating: 3/10


Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz Deadly Little Secrets by Laurie Faria Stolarz
Interesting read. I think the cover for this one hooked me first and foremost. I know they say not to judge a book by it's cover, but this one is stunning.
I enjoyed the story a lot. Good characters, and a good story that kept me interested.
Rating: 8.5/10




This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp This is Where it Ends by Mrieke Njkamp
Wow. This book is intense. Emotional, gripping. It's the kind of book you don't want to put down. The narration was spot on. The characters interesting. The pace, perfect. I loved this book.
Rating: 10/10




An Apple a Day by Emma Woolf An Apple a Day by Emma Woolf
This unflinchingly honest account of her struggle with anorexia had me hooked. I love books like this one, and I did really love the honesty even in the most intimate parts of her illness. 
Rating: 10/10




More reviews will follow in the next few days.


No comments:

Post a Comment