Monday 17 March 2014

Book Review | Heartbeat by Elizabeth Scott

17382967
Title | Heartbeat
Author | Elizabeth Scott
Pages | 256
Format | Kindle
Goodreads Rating | 3.62
My Rating | 9/10
Life. Death. And...Love?

Emma would give anything to talk to her mother one last time. Tell her about her slipping grades, her anger with her stepfather, and the boy with the bad reputation who might be the only one Emma can be herself with.

But Emma can't tell her mother anything. Because her mother is brain-dead and being kept alive by machines for the baby growing inside her.

Meeting bad-boy Caleb Harrison wouldn't have interested Old Emma. But New Emma-the one who exists in a fog of grief, who no longer cares about school, whose only social outlet is her best friend Olivia-New Emma is startled by the connection she and Caleb forge.

Feeling her own heart beat again wakes Emma from the grief that has grayed her existence. Is there hope for life after death-and maybe, for love?





My Thoughts
This book is all kinds of heartbreaking. Right from the first chapter I knew this would be the kind of book that brings me to the brink of tears. Incidentally by the first chapter I also knew that this would be a book that I loved, and I was right.
The emotions in this book had just been so fantastically written. I really liked the characters and their connections together.
What really gets me about this book, though, is that it's not dealing with an easy subject. This book is raw with emotions and yet at the same time, it's not overbearing with the grief, because there's this incredibly sweet relationship between Emma and Caleb. It's the kind of connection that I love. Both of them needing the other in a way that their friends can't understand. It was perfectly written. If anything I wanted the book longer just so I could have seen more of them together.
If I had to pick out one thing that I didn't like so much, I'd say that just on occasion I found a few things to be a little repetitive, but in such a wonderful book that's just a minor part.
Overall, this book was fantastic and Elizabeth Scott is fast becoming one of my favorite authors.


No comments:

Post a Comment