Saturday 8 February 2014

My Editing Process

Hi guys,

I'm currently in the last stages of editing my third book (more details coming real soon about that), and so I thought it might be fun to share with you my process of editing. With this novel I've taken a more intensive editing route, to try and make sure there are no little mistakes in it.
So here's my process.


  1. Complete a first draft
  2. Rewrite from scratch (How I do this is I have the first draft and a new blank document open at the same time, and I rewrite the first draft into the new document. Adding in things, taking stuff out and rewording things)
  3. Run the novel through editing software. I've just discovered this great program called Ginger which works really well. How I use it, is that it's installed on my internet browser and checks for spelling and grammar online, so I pull up an online notepad, paste in each chapter individually and Ginger will highlight all the errors, and suggest changes. Then I go through them all and decide if I want to change it to their suggestion, change it to something else, or leave it how it's written. I do this for each chapter of the rewritten draft.
  4. Proofread to make sure there are no errors, and correct anything that's wrong.
  5. Format the document
  6. Upload it to Kindle Direct Publishing.
So there you have it. That's my new process of editing my novels. I've only started doing it this way with this novel, my previous novels I did all the steps except for using an editing program. I love Ginger now though because it picks up on things that I miss.

If you're a writer, I'd love to know what you think of this editing routine, and I'd love to hear how you do your editing, so let me know in the comments.
As far as the book goes, there's going to be some release news really soon, as well as the reveal of the title, synopsis and cover. I'm getting really excited, and I'll share more just as soon as I've finished proofreading, which I hope will be in about a week. If you want to know more about the book, please subscribe to my site, because information will be coming your way soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment