Tuesday 14 January 2014

Book Review: How I Lost You by Janet Gurtler


Title: How I Lost You
Author: Janet Gurtler
Pages: 320
Format: Kindle ebook
Goodreads Rating: 3.85/10
My Rating: 9/10

Synopsis from Goodreads

There are a few things Grace Anderson knows for sure. One is that nothing will ever come between her and her best friend, Kya Kessler. They have a pact. Buds Before Studs. Sisters Before Misters. But in the summer before senior year, life throws out challenges they never expected. And suddenly the person who's always been there starts to need the favor returned. Grace and Kya are forced to question how much a best friend can forgive. And the answer is not what they expected.

Review

If I'm honest, when I started reading this book I thought that it would be good, but other than that I didn't have a huge amount of expectations for it. I don't know why I had this feeling, but I honestly thought that I'd finish it and end up rating it at a 6 or 7. I'm not sure where these pre-reading judgements come from, but I always have a feeling of how I'll end up rating it.
This book though really surprised me, because it was a lot better than I anticipated.

One of the main things I love about this book is the relationship between the characters. It all felt believable and well written. The characters were interesting and well developed, and I thought that the storyline as a whole was really good.
It touched on some pretty tough subjects, and I felt handled them really well, which is a bonus because despite it being, for me at least, a touch predictable in places. I didn't want to put this book down. I enjoyed it thoroughly and I'm so pleased that I read it.
Each of the characters were well thought out, written well and above all else they interacted within the story really well.
The pacing of the story was spot on and I never found myself getting bored during the story. I loved the sporting aspect to it as well, even though I'm not at all a sporty person (give me a book and a cup of coffee over a ball and a field any day) but I felt like having this sporting aspect gave the book a uniqueness from most of the other YA contemporary I've been reading recently, and that was refreshing.

Overall this is a really good read, and I would highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment