Monday 23 June 2014

Book Review | If I tell by Janet Gurtler

10841337
Raised by her grandparents, seventeen-year-old Jasmine, the result of a biracial one night stand, has never met her father but has a good relationship with her mother until she sees her mother's boyfriend kissing Jaz's best friend...

Pages: 256 | Format: Paperback | Goodreads | Amazon

Review
3/10
The biggest problem I had with this book is that I didn't like the main character all that much. To me she just seemed really annoying and that bugged me a lot.
The way she reacted to a lot of things just got on my nerves, especially when it was something pretty small and she would overreact. 
I also didn't like how she treated her mom. To me it didn't make sense that she would act so horribly towards her mother, the one person she was supposedly trying to protect from this big secret. By trying to save her mom from the hurt of finding out about what Simon did, she ends up hurting her. I didn't like that at all.
The other thing that I didn't really like was that a lot of the points in this book seemed really repetitive. I felt like the same stuff was being mentioned over and over again, and it got on my nerves, because it wasn't a hugely long book, so having so much time spent going over the same things, was annoying.
There were things I did like about the book. I liked that it tackled issues like racism. I liked that the supporting characters all had lives outside of their friendship/relationship with the main character. In fact, it would have been good to explore those lives a little more.
Overall, I wasn't a huge fan of this book. There were parts of it that I did enjoy, but overall there were a lot of things that I didn't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment