Thursday 1 May 2014

My Soul to Keep by Gracie Lea Silverwood | Excerpts


Hi guys,

Today I am thrilled to feature on the blog an excerpt from the recently released novel 'My Soul to Keep' by Gracie Lea Silverwood. Before we get into the two excerpts, though, let's take a look at what the book is all about.

21483590
Most little girls dream of tea parties and playing with dolls. Their biggest worry is making sure mommy or daddy chase the monsters out of their closets and out from under their bed. However what happens when your own mother is the monster, instead of the arms of love and safety? “My Soul to Keep” is the story of Gracie, a disabled little girl who, from day one, knew she was an unwanted child, just trying to survive and avoid her mother’s daily abuse. All the while, she struggled to hide her pain from the outside world.

Purchase Links

Excerpts

As a young girl I remember sitting on my knees in front of the TV watching shows like “The Cosby Show” and “Who’s The Boss” and thinking this is what family should be, although now as an adult I realize most people don’t have lives like those families on sitcoms, however, that was my childhood dream. It took me over thirty years to come to terms with the life I was dealt. It wasn’t your typical childhood; it was like living on a rollercoaster stuck on full speed, you never knew the exact moment you were going to crash and derail, but you knew the crash was unavoidable.

-
It was also that summer I discovered what a daddy of my own really was, even though he was technically my stepfather he never treated me as anything less than a biological daughter, and I was a daddy’s girl through and through. Along with a new dad I also gained another big brother whose name is Steve, and even though we only got to see Steve in the summers, he immediately accepted me as a little sister and not just a step sibling. It was Steve who took me on my first rollercoaster ride, when one weekend during a summer visit we went to Boblo Island Amusement Park near Windsor; it’s one of my favorite childhood memories. In my eyes, my daddy was my personal super hero, however, I also knew he was addicted to the same drugs as my mother. Unlike my mother, he was never mean or abusive to me and he tried to be a buffer when he could between me and my mother. She just learned to be more discreet about her insults and “punishments” when daddy was around, well in the beginning anyway.

Connect with the Author


2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write about "My Soul to Keep."

    ReplyDelete