Thursday 13 February 2014

Book Review: Being Sloane Jacobs by Lauren Morrill


Title: Being Sloane Jacobs
Author: Lauren Morrill
Pages: 352
Format: Hardback
Goodreads Rating: 3.62/5
My Rating: 8/10

Synopsis from Goodreads

Meet Sloane Emily Jacobs: a seriously stressed-out figure-skater from Washington, D.C., who choked during junior nationals and isn’t sure she’s ready for a comeback. What she does know is that she’d give anything to escape the mass of misery that is her life.

Now meet Sloane Devon Jacobs, a spunky ice hockey player from Philly who’s been suspended from her team for too many aggressive hip checks. Her punishment? Hockey camp, now, when she’s playing the worst she’s ever played. If she messes up? Her life will be over.

When the two Sloanes meet by chance in Montreal and decide to trade places for the summer, each girl thinks she’s the lucky one: no strangers to judge or laugh at Sloane Emily, no scouts expecting Sloane Devon to be a hero. But it didn’t occur to Sloane E. that while avoiding sequins and axels she might meet a hockey hottie—and Sloane D. never expected to run into a familiar (and very good-looking) face from home. It’s not long before the Sloanes discover that convincing people you’re someone else might be more difficult than being yourself.

Review
After reading Lauren Morrill's first book 'Meant to Be' I was really excited for this one, because I fell in love with her writing style in her first novel. This one didn't disappoint. Morrill's excellent writing style was carried through this book.
There were two fantastic main characters, and I loved having the dual narrative between the two of them, it worked perfectly for this book. 
I have to admit though, however much I was looking forward to this book because 1. I thought it sounded like an interesting plot and 2. I already knew I liked Morrill's writing. I had reservations. This is down to the fact that often when I read a story with two main characters, especially when it's dual narration and the main characters aren't both narrators because they're two halves of a love story. I always tend to prefer one person to the other, and then find myself more eager to read those parts.
I honestly thought this would happen in this book. We had two Sloane's and I thought inevitably I'd prefer one story to the other, but I didn't.
Both of the girls stories were told really well. We got some back story, both had sufficient drama in their respective summer's, and each chapter kept me just as interested as the last.
Where then did this book fall short? Because, as you can tell from the 8/10, it didn't score top marks with me. This is simply down to the ending. The last few chapters fell a little flat for me, and although by the final chapter things were resolved, I just felt like I couldn't give it a higher rating than an 8. Having said that though, this book was thoroughly enjoyable and I would definitely recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment