Sunday 29 December 2013

Book Review: The Thirty Nine Steps by John Buchan


Title: The Thirty Nine Steps
Author: John Buchan
Pages: 170
Format: Hardback
Goodreads Rating: 3.59/5
My Rating: 8/10

Synopsis from Goodreads

Featuring Richard Hannay, an all-action hero with a steely determination and an extraordinary knack for getting himself out of sticky situations, this novel charts the electrifying story of an ordinary man caught up in a sinister international plot.

Review
I first decided to read this because I'd seen a TV version of it on the BBC. It took me a long time to actually get around to it, even after finding a really lovely old copy of it in my local charity shop. Then after I started reading it, strangely I kept on putting it down, and not just for a day or so, but for weeks and months at a time. Even though I was enjoying it.
However, this month I finally decided to sit down and actually finish it, and I'm so glad that I did because this book was fantastic.
There's a lot of mystery crammed into it's pages, and the story is told really well. I liked the main character a lot, and found him to be interesting and a good narrator.
It all came together into an exciting ending, and overall I enjoyed the book a lot. I would definitely recommend it.




No comments:

Post a Comment