Saturday 28 December 2013

Book Review: How my Summer Went Up in Flames by Jennifer Salvato Doktorski


Title: How my Summer Went Up in Flames
Author: Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
Pages: 307
Format: Paperback
Goodreads Rating: 3.79/5
My Rating: 9/10

Synopsis from Goodreads

Rosie’s always been impulsive. She didn’t intend to set her cheating ex-boyfriend’s car on fire. And she never thought her attempts to make amends could be considered stalking. So when she’s served with a temporary restraining order on the first day of summer vacation, she’s heartbroken—and furious.

To put distance between Rosie and her ex, Rosie’s parents send her on a cross-country road trip with responsible, reliable neighbor Matty and his two friends. Forget freedom of the road, Rosie wants to hitchhike home and win back her ex. But her determination starts to dwindle with each passing mile. Because Rosie’s spark of anger? It may have just ignited a romance with someone new…

Review
Ah I love road trip books so very much. This one was no exception. All of the characters were extremely well written. The relationship drama was interesting and it wasn't hugely predictable which I loved. I liked that they stopped off at different locations along the way, and met a couple new people as well.
I really enjoyed the whole novel. It was fun and light and an easy book to fall into.

Right from the beginning I was pretty sure that I'd be hooked by this book. The narration style was great, the pacing was spot on, and all round I was enjoying it.

This book was very close to being a full 10/10 for me, but there was just something that didn't quite make it for me. It was however really close.

If you're a fan of YA fiction, then I would definitely suggest this book. It was fun, light hearted, had a decent dose of drama to keep things interesting and had an amazing group of characters. It was fantastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment